Thursday, February 12, 2009

One Giant Boob

Well Brandon tried to shame me for not having blogged in here yet. It didn't work because I feel I have a pretty good excuse for not having the time to sit and write long winded posts about motherhood that people may or may not be interested in reading. I am living motherhood! I don't have that much time to ponder about it! But here I am, finally writing. Watson is asleep on my chest, wrapped in one of those Moby wraps. I had disregarded the Moby as overly complicated and annoying until yesterday when a friend and fellow mother encouraged me to give it a try. So I fished it out of the pile and did something novel. I read the instructions. The instructions with pictures that are very easy to follow and amazingly it worked! He's in it, snug and sound asleep in his favorite spot. Thank you Corry for the encouragement!

So anyway, I had been wanting to write sooner. The first couple of weeks with Watson were wonderful in many ways, except for one. Breastfeeding was about 100 times harder than I ever imagined it would be. Up until early last week, when we saw our lactation consultant for the third time, I was really frustrated and feeling scared that I'd never get it right. I was also just walking around feeling like one giant boob, like my only purpose in life was to have Watson permanently attached to one of my tits, and I imagined a life of doing nothing else but dragging him around at my chest, trying to make sure he was getting enough to eat! I was beginning to be obsessed with how much he was eating, making sure he was gaining enough weight, nursing for the right amount of time, etc, etc. It was consuming my mind, night and day. But magically, at that last appointment with our "milk fairy" (lactation consultant) Watson had gained quite a bit of weight and she confirmed he was getting a good amount of milk from both boobs. So I have since relaxed. Don't get me wrong, I'm still worried, but not as much. Considering the amount of poopy and peepee diapers I change, I have to assume that Watson is well fed. I no longer feel like I am a walking breast. I feel like I can branch out now and go back to doing and thinking about other things.

Well I guess that's all I got for now. Watson is stirring. Hopefully I'll be back soon.

-andi

1 comment:

  1. Breastfeeding is challenging but well worth it. Glad you are feeling better about it!

    ReplyDelete